Old Church Building
New Church Building
St Roque Church is situated at a distance of 35 ks to the north of Mangalore and 6 kms from Niddodi, and is surrounded by Ferar, Niddodi, Sampige and Kateel parishes.
📜 History of Neerude Parish
Establishment and Growth of Neerude Parish
On January 20, 1945, the self-administered chapel (Kopel/Chapel) at Neerude was formally established by Bishop Victor Fernandes. At that time, Fr. Joseph Lobo, the parish priest of Urwa was appointed as the first vicar of Neerude. After serving faithfully for ten years, he was transferred on February 4, 1955.
He was succeeded by Fr. Lawrence V. M Fernandes, parish priest of Bajpe became the second vicar of neerude. During his tenure, a new church was constructed. The church was consecrated on April 19, 1960, by Bishop Raymond D’Mello. Subsequently, on January 9, 1961, Bishop D’Mello issued an official decree granting Neerude the status of an independent parish.
After rendering devoted service for fourteen years, Fr. Lawrence Fernandes was transferred on October 13, 1968. He was followed by Fr. Raymond Moras as parish priest. Thereafter, the parish was served successively by Rev. Fr. Cyprian Lasrado  Â
 7-5-1977 to 26-5-1979
Rev. Fr. Piathas D'Souza
26-5-1979 to 3-4-1984
Rev. Fr. Denis Moras (Admn.)
3-4-1984 to 17-5-1984
Rev. Fr. Alfred Pinto
17-5-1984 to 14-8-1989
Rev. Fr. Lancy D'Souza
14-8-1989 to 29-5-1992
Rev. Fr. Lawrence Martis
29-5-1992 to 4-5-1999
Rev. Fr. Andrew Nazareth
4-5-1999 to 12-6-2006
Rev. Fr. Ronald D'Souza
12-6-2006 to 31-5-2013
Rev. Fr. Archibald L. Albuquerque
31-5-2013 to 20-8-2014
Rev. Fr. Victor George D'Souza (Admn.)
02-9-2014 to 11-6-2015
Rev. Fr. Assisi Rebello
11-6-2015 to 15-7-2021
Rev. Fr. Alban Rodrigues
from 15-7-2021 has been appointed as the parish vicar of Neerude.
Over the past eighty years, the progress of Neerude Parish has been truly remarkable. The parishioners worked with dedication and pride in building the presbytery, church, and other parish structures. Even today, the Christian community of Budigad–Neerude remains well organized. Christianity flourished here through strong parish life, Christian customs, education, and social service, all of which continue to be clearly evident.
Earlier History and Connection with Pezar
Historically, Neerude was closely connected with Pezar. Many residents of Neerude shared family ties, property relations, and close kinship with Pezar. The Christian communities of Pezar and Neerude developed simultaneously, supported by educated Christian families from Pezar, Permude, Kanikatta, Kopla, Nelthir, and Neerude, who were primarily skilled cultivators engaged in agriculture and allied occupations.
From Pezar, parish boundaries extended over a vast region—from Kulur to Mulki, Kendar,kaudur , Hospet, Sankal-Kariya and beyond.
although estimates regarding the formal establishment of Pezar & royal records indicate that an organized Christian community existed there much earlier from Chapels at Rosario cathedral and Milagres were already in existence 20–30 years earlier. The church estate included lands and maintained by junth of pezar and a general procurator was elected from among the congregation.
In earlier times, Mass and sacraments were celebrated in Latin, with explanations given in Konkani. Prominent families of the Pezar congregation included the Sequiera’s of Bendyntle, Kamatigele suvaries family, Pai(Albuquerque) of bashantle , Anthony Souza , Diogo Prabhu and others from Kopla and Nelthir.
During the reign of Tipu Sultan, the Pezar church was destroyed and later rebuilt as a fortified structure. Records mention that families such as Pascal Kambothi(Sequiera), Panchiguri Balacho Anthony Souza (Prabhu) and others were taken captive to Srirangapatna. After Tipu Sultan’s death in battle against the British, the captives were released. From 1800 to 1864, the history of Pezar was recorded in Portuguese.
Villages such as Kendar,kavdoor,Bajpe,Agrar, Ferrar. & name of wards such as Kopla, Pinta Wado, Nelthir, Mochar, and Niddodi possess well-documented histories, including records of religious donations.
After realese from captivity pezarites united leaving the old broken structures and built a new grass roof small chapel in the ridges of the forest and tigers were common on the terrain and with help of pascal Kamath the kalavar land was bought and assets of the church seen growth even in Neerude’s Koppla the land were given to the   Seven tenants for agricultural purposes.
Growth under Later Clergy
A major turning point in Pezar parish occurred during the tenure of Fr. Basil Barreto (1826). He constructed permanent structures, including a stone cross and later a new church in 1876, whose altar was built by Diogo Fernandes of Mochar also founded the Neerude school and he used to go to mass at pezar fr. Barretto regularly visited Budigad, Ferrar, Gurupur, and surrounding villages and wards. He also built the grass roof chapel on government land at Ferrar.
In 1886, Pezar was freed from Goan jurisdiction, and Fr. Antony Colaco from Mangalore became its first secular vicar.
Formation of Ferrar Parish and Neerude’s Journey
In 1912, Neerude, Kopla, Mochar, Nelthir, Pinta Wado, Kombatt, and Gurupur together formed the Ferrar Parish. Fr. Reginald Pinto was appointed its first parish priest in 1916. He built school of grass roof at ferrar and promoted education in Budigad by purchasing an acre of land from government at Budigad and the school is shifted from Mochar , serving the spiritual needs of five Neerude villages.
He was succeeded by Fr. Joseph Menezes, who dedicated himself wholeheartedly to the spiritual welfare of Ferrar and Budigad villages. One acre of government land was acquired at Neerude–Budigad, where a school building was constructed. Later, Angeline Fernandes donated land for building a church at Neerude. Though foundations were laid, changes in parish administration delayed completion.
In November 1919, Fr. James Severine Sequiera from pezar was appointed vicar. He laid the foundation and completed the new Ferrar church through immense sacrifice and collective effort. Parishioners from Ferrar and Neerude contributed daily labor, resources, and donations to make the project successful. Fr. Sequiera was a great devotee of Our Lady of Pompei and promoted devotion through novenas, establishing her altar at Ferrar.
At that time, the Catholics of Neerude were under the jurisdiction of the Ferar church. They made a remarkable contribution toward the construction of the church. The people of Ferar and neerude worked together. Every household collected a handful of rice each day while cooking. Once every two months, the collected rice was brought to the priest. After feeding the poor, the remaining rice was sold, and the money was spent on the church construction. The the elder people adopted this method and greatly assisted in building the Ferar church.
Later, Rev. Menezes donated land in neerude for the construction of a church. A bungalow-like house was also built there. A few young men were trained there as Brothers (religious assistants). Every two months, Rev. Sequeira visited Nirude and stayed for two days in the bungalow to provide spiritual guidance to the people.
He was a great devotee of Our Lady of Pompeii. He erected an altar dedicated to Our Lady of Pompei in the Ferar church and introduced the annual feast in her honor. Through her intercession, many people reportedly received blessings and favors. During that period, the people of Ferar were always seen carrying rosaries around their necks. Because of this devotion, people from neighboring parishes recognized the people of Ferar by their rosaries.
After Rev. Sequeira was transferred, Rev. Moti became the parish priest of Ferar. During his tenure, the primary school at Ferar was upgraded to a Higher Elementary School. A new school building and a new presbytery (priest’s residence) were also constructed.
Since the nearest parish was several miles away, it was difficult for the people to receive regular spiritual care. Therefore, the bishop appointed a catechist to serve Ferar. The catechist instructed the people, preached to them, and looked after their spiritual needs.
Once, after about four and a half years, while returning from Sikkol, the catechist became late. He asked a young boy from the school to accompany him. Since the boy had not yet learned the prayers properly, the priest taught him while walking. As darkness fell and there was no proper road or light, they lost their way. Eventually they reached a Christian family, stayed there overnight, and returned to the Ferar church the following morning.
After that catechist, Fr. Cosesao was appointed. He too faithfully served the people of Ferar and neerude. Later he was transferred elsewhere.
At that time, since Rev. Moti was no longer available as headmaster of the Ferrar Higher Elementary School, Rev. William Sequeira was requested by the bishop to serve both as headmaster and catechist. Rev. William Sequeira was a deeply religious man.
Rev. Moti served Ferar for about twelve years. Later he went to Mumbai for treatment, temporarily handing over the administration of the parish to Rev. William Sequeira. Because Rev. William himself was elderly and ill, it became difficult for him to manage both the school and the spiritual care of the people. He also fell ill twice while coming to Neerude Sikkol.
He informed the bishop that it was becoming impossible to supervise the school and the parish effectively. He also pointed out that Nirude was six or seven miles from Ferar and that its people had been requesting a separate church for nearly forty years. He therefore requested that a church be established at Neerude.
The bishop replied that he too had wanted to establish a chapel at Nirude for the past ten years, but no priest had been willing to go there because it was a remote forest area with almost no facilities. The bishop told him that as soon as a suitable priest was found, a chapel would be established there.
Rev. William Sequeira remembered his close friend from the seminary, Fr. Joseph Lobo, who had been his prefect. Fr. Lobo had returned from Urva as a catechist and was then recovering from illness in Kankanady. Rev. William explained to him the hardships and needs of the people of Neerude, comparing them to sheep without a shepherd, and urged him to guide them.
Fr. Lobo gladly accepted. He met the Bishop of Mangalore, Most Rev. Victor Fernandes, and said, “If you send me to Neerude , I will gladly serve the people there.”
The bishop immediately agreed and established the St. Roque Chapel under the Mangalore Diocese. About a month later, a date was fixed, and Fr. Lobo was instructed to go to Neerude and become acquainted with the people.
The news was announced in the Ferar parish during Sunday Mass. Afterwards, the five wards of Neerude joined together and repaired a house to be used as the first chapel.
Originally, the neerude area consisted of several villages and hamlets connected by difficult forest paths. There were no proper roads or transport facilities. The parish eventually came to include seven wards.
TO BE CONTINUEDÂ
ALAN MENDONCA
with refernce of archives
 Source: With reference from Parish Souvenir Books